Stay Safe When Buying and Selling Online
Don’t get e-skimmed!
We have all been warned about the dangerous, deep, dark corners of the internet. But the truth is, most of us shop online relatively care-free. We whip out our debit cards to order a new gadget, or lazily let our phones do the work with the swipe of a thumbprint and confirmation of payment. Companies have made it more convenient than ever before to pay online.
The ease of buying and selling online has led to an unparalleled growth of the online marketplace. There are now security threats that couldn’t have
So the question is, if
The following are a few guidelines that can help you out:
Beware of what you share, when buying and selling online
Often online checkout forms have fields for details that have no particular relevance to the transaction being made. You should
Check for site encryption
You can do this by verifying that the site’s URL is “
An HTTP site with an SSL (security sockets
There are plenty of fraudulent websites posing as legitimate ones, and they look almost exactly like the website
whether a site is genuine or not
- Search for an online presence or social media account of some sort. If it is a genuine online shopping website, it will have an active Instagram or Twitter page for interacting with users or promoting services.
- Look for poor English. This can be a dead giveaway of a fake.
- Check the security status of the site in your browser. There should be a padlock icon to the left of the URL.
- Carefully look at the URL. Imposters will have small one-off mistakes like Amaz0n.com, or strange extensions like
.biz or .info.
- Make sure that the site has contact information listed. If you can call or email customer service, and you get a response, that is a good sign.
“The valuable information that is collected from scams is resold on dark-web markets. “
What you can do if you own an e-commerce business
- Trademark your company name and logo. Registering your company name as a trademark helps ensure that no one else can steal, copy, or make money off of your unique brand.
- If you can’t afford your own e-commerce platform, use reliable SaaS providers like
BigCommerceor Magento so thatthey can continuously monitor and protect your site from cybersecurity threats when selling online.
- Encrypt your site by
obtainingan SSL certificate. (as mentioned earlier)
- Request that employees use
longand complicated passwords. The stronger your passwords, the less likely it is for cybercriminals to breach your site.
- Always keep your website updated with the latest security patches for your system’s software.
Take precautions against
You may have recently heard of “
E-skimming is the digital version of credit card skimming. Skimmers use malicious code or fake forms that resemble original website checkout forms to mislead website visitors into giving away their sensitive payment information.
Hackers do this
What safety measures can you take to prevent e-skimming?
If you run an e-commerce platform, you can implement safety measures such as CSP (Content Security Policy). CSP is an extra element of security that can help avoid major cybersecurity attacks like XSS (Cross-site scripting) as well as unsolicited data injection from third parties.
You can also use Subresource integrity, which performs a similar function by encrypting your website using cryptographic hashes. If the hashes on the web page’s script and the browser don’t match, the script won’t be executed. It prevents any fraudulent third party web pages from being displayed on your browser
Still worried about your business’s e-commerce security? Tech Master’s can identify any vulnerabilities in your system. Give us a call for a free 30-minute consultation, we would be happy to help!
Want new articles sent right to your Inbox?
Subscribe to our monthly Tech Guide today!
More Blog Posts
G Suite vs. Office 365: What's the Difference?When you own your own business some of the most important tools you can have are your communication tools, collaboration features, and productivity apps. For most people, Google's G Suite (recently rebranded as Google...
How to Create an Awesome Business PlanThe first step to starting a business is having a great idea. But what do you do once you've found your great idea? Putting together a business plan can help you take your idea from a fuzzy concept to a workable plan with a...
Microsoft Teams: Tips & TricksMicrosoft Teams is a collaboration tool designed specifically for businesses. It allows employees to communicate more effectively, collaborate on projects, and share information easily. This tool is perfect for small businesses...